Im sure there are billions of combos to make veggie stock, but I made this the other day with what I had on hand and it reminded me of Imagine or Kitchen Basic Vegetable Stock, which, by the way, if you don’t know from me mentioning those stocks many times over, are my absolute favs! 😃
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
5 bay leaves
1/2 medium butternut squash, (approx. 1 2/3 cups), cut in large cubes, with skin, wash first, obviousl
5 celery stocks, with leaves
3 garlic cloves
2 medium red potatos, with skin
2 zucchini (italian squash), cut in rounds 2 1/2″ thick
1 large yellow onion, with skin, cut in four pieces
2/3 large red bell pepper
2 handfuls mixed dark greens (any dark green will do, I used prewashed organic juicing greens)
1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
1 tbsp dried parsley
Pinch dried oregano
1) Heat olive oil over medium heat in stock pot/dutch oven, add onion and let begin to cook, it is ok if it begins to get a little color while you slice butternut squash.
2) Add squash and let begin to brown slightly, then add bay leaves, peppercorns and garlic.
3) Add red bell pepper, let cook, stirring a few times, for about 2 mins.
4) Now add celery. Let cook a few more minutes, add zucchini.
5) Let these ingredients cook together, caramalizing, softening, until zucchini is getting soft enough to smash with a stiff spatula. Butternut squash should begin to soften on outside as well. The main point of this is to get flavors to deepen before adding water
6) Fill pot until veggies are just barely covered with water.
7) Add dried parsley, oregano and basil.
8) Leave partially covered and cook on low heat for 3 1/2 hrs, stir occasionally. You want it to steep, like tea. It shouldn’t be boiling, but there should be steam rising from pot. 20 minutes before it’s done cooking, add salt.
9) Pour mixture through steel mesh colander. When mixture has drained, press gently with the back of a spatula to get any remaining juice out.
Makes about 7 cups 🙂
Pictured above used in Homey Mild Flavored Soup https://theinternationalveggie.com/homey-mild-flavored-soup/, sorry forgot to take a picture before I used stock.