Note: I made this on a grill pan in the kitchen and nearly asphyxiated myself; if you can do it outside, I would recommend using a barbecue if you have one. If you wish to do this inside, please cover corn with heavy duty tin foil, put oven fan on high n open a window if you can. :))
3 husked ears of white corn
1/4 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves
1 serrano pepper sliced vertically down the middle
1/2 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp lime juice
1. Smash garlic in mortar n pestle with salt to make a paste.
2. Put garlic paste in a baking dish with corn and add lime. Mix around to distribute garlic mixture evenly over corn. Let marinate for about 20 mins.
Grill pan directions: (try at your own risk, please follow precautions above.)
3. Add 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to grill pan, heat on med-high until olive oil runs like water in pan.
4. Add vertically sliced serrano pepper to grill pan, let start to sizzle and sweep back and forth over grill.
This is how the serrano will look sliced vertically:
6. Add corn to grill, cover with heavy duty aluminum foil and let blacken on all sides 10-15 mins, turn occasionally so corn is blackened on all sides. If grill seems too hot, turn down to medium or lower to let temperature reach propper level.
As I said, I recommend doing this on an outside grill if you have one. It made a lot of smoke in the house. If you do try this inside, make sure you watch it.
If you want to do it outside, use my marinade and blacken on barbecue.