This is my veganized version of iraqi biryani. My best friend’s husband is iraqi, so when i go to visit her, sometimes i get to try iraqi dishes and they are amazing!
I remember when my friend first shared this dish with me. It’s comfort food. It reminds me of home, friends and happy times talking late into the night, laughing and sharing stories.
It is so simple, nutritious and delicious! It also doesnt require a lot of attention, which is good on a day when you dont have much energy to cook.
I have adjusted the prep slightly in order to keep flavor and eliminate the meat.
I hope you enjoy it!
2/3 cup grapeseed oil (for frying)
1 1/3 cup previously cooked potatoes spinkled with cinnamon (you can also use raw, but it will take longer for them to cook, obviously)
3 small to medium carrots 1/4″ thich sliced at an angle
1 cup cooked garbanzos, rinsed well, sprinkled with 1/4 tsp arabic 7 spice (sadaf works well in this dish), 2 pinches cinnamon, 1 pinch powdered cumin
1/3 cup raisins (i prefer golden)
Salt and pepper
1 cup brown rice
2 1/2 cup veggie broth
1/8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion
2 smashed garlic cloves
1/3 cup parsley
1/2 tsp 7 spice (sadaf brand works well in this dish)
1/4 tsp powdered cumin
2 cup veggie broth
1/4 cup each thawed frozen peas and sweet yellow corn
Salt and pepper to taste
1) warm evoo on medium heat and add onions and sautee until transparent, add parsley, mix and let sautee slighlty in oil. Add garlic til fragrant, add spices and mix in, let sit for a few seconds. Add rice sautee slightly for around 20 seconds tot impart flavor, add broth and cook according to package instructions.
2) heat grapeseed oil in a seperate skillet, sprinkle garbanzo with seasoning and fry briefly a min or two, set aside, salt and drain.
3) fry potatoes until browned on both sides (flip half way thru cooking), set aside to drain and salt
4)fry carrots on both sides until they soften amd brown on both sides, set aside to drain
5) fry raisins just until puff up and immediately remove from oil and drain.
6) when rice is almost thru cooking, salt and pepper and add fried ingredients and also add peas and corn at last min.
7) fry nuts and top rice with them.
Enjoy this one pot meal! 😋