Ok, you got me, im very excited about healthy food, but I LOVE fat, healthy fat, yes, but fat! I could drink olive oil and eat more than one avocado in a sitting. (Just ask my hubby to tell u the story of how i ended up taking sole possesion of the community Guacamole bowl at his family’s party 🙄❓❓❓ In my defense I did wait at least an hour before I decided no one wanted it. 😊 I think we were married, if we weren’t it goes to his credit that he wasn’t dissuaded).
Anyways, I’ve decided to work on my affinity for fat, so, to that end, this is a new recipe I came up with. Tecnically, it is a black bean puree but it is delicious and healthy and can be used in place of refried beans.
2 cups raw black beans
4 cups water
4 cups veggie broth (I like Imagine no-chicken Broth)
2 pinches mexican oregano (or regular old American oregano if that’s what you have on hand)
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 cup yellow onion
Fresh Lemon Juice
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1) cook black beans in pressure cooker with oregano, garlic powder, bay leaf and veggie broth (approx 55 mins, then let steam come out naturally)
2) DO NOT DRAIN BEANS!
3) heat evoo on medium high heat, cook onions until they begin to brown slightly then add garlic until it is fragrant. Squeeze a little lemon over the onions and garlic
4) strain beans from pot and put over garlic and onion mixture.
5) add some cooking water to the mixture, around 1 cup? Then transfer to food processor and mix until smooth.
6) return to skillet, you can add slightly more cooking water and let it reduce until it reaches the consistency you desire. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve on tostada shell or in taco!
This would also taste great with fajitas, vegan sour cream and/or cheese. The world is your oyster.